March trailer production increases, shipments meet seasonal expectations

Posted on 25. Apr, 2017 by in Press Releases, Trailers

COLUMBUS, IN –Facilitated by the additional build days, trailer production jumped 25% from February, the highest level since March of last year. “Roughly 60% of the month-over-month gain came from the additional build days in the quarter-ending month, while the remaining 40% improvement came from a 94 upd sequential jump in the build rate,” said Frank Maly, Director–CV Transportation Analysis and Research at ACT. He continued, “Even with that surge, it appears that the industry’s additional production capacity is still not being fully utilized.”

Trailer shipments closed the first quarter with a 26% increase from February, with every trailer category being up from last month. “The 26% sequential gain was almost exactly aligned with seasonal expectations,” said Maly. “The strong orderboard turnaround that began in December is finally being reflected in build and shipments,” he concluded.

ACT is the worldwide leading publisher of new and used commercial vehicle (CV) industry data, market analysis and forecasting services for the North American market, as well as the U.S. tractor-trailer market and the China CV market. ACT’s CV services are used by all major North American truck and trailer manufacturers and their suppliers, as well as the banking and investment community in North America, Europe and China. For more information on ACT, please visit http://www.actresearch.net.

Media Contact:
Donavan Gerken
812-379-2085
trucks@actresearch.net